What I wrote at Lib Dem Voice

January 23, 2007

At least it’s over now

“Unpaid Christmas bills, nasty weather, and failed New Year's resolutions combine to make January 22 the gloomiest in the calendar.”
They forgot to add: attending a meeting of Full Council.

And I was lucky today - owing to a clashing work meeting, I missed half of it. I don’t think I’ve ever yet enjoyed a meeting of Full Council. The curious thing is that, though there are rarely any genuine members of the public there, councillors can’t resist playing to the (empty) gallery. Cheap, posturing tribalism rules the day.

I love being a councillor, still get a real buzz out of it, even as I approach my eighth year representing the good folk of Headington. I like to spend the time I can devote to local politics working for their benefit. Five-hour meetings of Full Council knacker me, and do next-to-nothing for my residents.

Fortunately, tomorrow’s today’s another day.

No comments: