What I wrote at Lib Dem Voice

March 05, 2007

With you in spirit

So this is where I was standing during the crucial Trident debate at the Lib Dems’ spring conference in Harrogate… Bruges.

Deliberately out of e-mail and phone contact for a long week-end, I didn’t discover the actual result of the debate til I returned home early Monday morning.


But I knew ‘the leadership’ hadn’t been defeated.
How?

Because Trident was discussed on the BBC's Sunday AM newspaper round-up which I caught a few minutes of on satellite telly - and there was no mention of the Lib Dems. And we know that journos find debates and policies dull, but personalities and splits endlessly, pointlessly fascinating.


On a lighter note, here’s a rather more attractive pic from Belgium. Not too sure what folk would have been up to in Harrogate when I snapped this. But the law of averages suggests the bar was doing a roaring trade.

No comments: