What I wrote at Lib Dem Voice

June 06, 2007

Ok, so there are bigger niggles in life

But two questions are bugging me right now, as I try to live life as a cyclist who doesn't arrive in work soaked from a sudden downpour:

1) why is it impossible to buy an item of stylish rain-wear... y'know, something that doesn't look like it was rejected by Gyles Brandreth for being unutterably unfashionable; and

2)
even if I accept I must of necessity compromise my designer trendiness, and meekly submit to doudy dryness, why do rain-ponchos only come with short sleeves? Is it too much to ask that, having sacrificed all street-cred for the sake of practical comfort, my forearms should still get wet?

If only I could get a chauffeur to drive behind me with a change of clothes, life would be so much easier.

4 comments:

a radical writes said...

lol very true, and why is it thaat the only umbrellas that can be carried comfortably are the ones that fall apart in a light breaze?

Jock Coats said...

I had a bright yellow poncho once that even had elastic loops to put your wrists through so that it basically covered the handle-bar too.

Or maybe it was a tent.

Anonymous said...

Try the Army surplus place on Botley Road for a set of army waterproofs. Not stylish but they tend to pack away into quite neatly to save space in a bag.

Anonymous said...

In fairness, the ample cut of the illustrated rain-coat allows easy access for the long piece of string to which your mittens are attached.

(The sleeve detail is, I believe, modelled on the Ceremonials for a Deputy Lord Mayor)